Wednesday 4 January 2023

Some more project bag making…

The year started with sewing up scraps of fabrics into project bags with zippers, a friend said I may be becoming a bag maker? The funny part is, that is how I got into quilting at the age of 19 years of age. I saw a plaid quilted bag, nothing girly and said I am going to make one. As a confirmed tomboy, the thought caused many giggles and outright laughter from many around me. They were not unkind, just honest. About sixteen bags later, I could make a bag, quilt the fabric by machine, sew in a zipper, add handles and make pockets. My saving grace was it was one item, each one I made pushed me to perfect it and find simple solutions to make it more streamlined. A fire dip into the deepend, swim I did. Now after all the years of quiltmaking I am making bags again...
The binding has not been turned over on this one yet, will be doing that today.
It will be closed using a magnetic snap, in the early days of bag making we did not have access to these snaps.
A variety of blue strips cut for one of my first RSC23 projects for January.
French General yellow fabrics, they come in blues and even soft sage greens. The dominant colours are reds, silver, cream and taupes. Each line can be used with all the previous or future fabrics lines, which is great for making scrappy looking quilts.

3 comments:

  1. I made my first bag at 16. It was in denim with a calico lining, and a zippered closure. Didn't have any of the fancy stabilizers we have now so it was very slouchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bag making has really come a long way, your bags are so amazing and professionally made that no one can see the difference. They are far more precious because they are made with love.

      Delete
  2. I really like that line of fabric - thinking of getting some myself

    ReplyDelete