Friday 29 March 2024

Easter.

It is Easter weekend, it arrived early this year. Relaxing is what is we will be doing this weekend, more of that happened this past week. Our bodies reminds us to stop when we overdo things, which last week I did. Trimming the mystery quilt blocks to their size, just a few more... a few more. Not a good idea. They got trimmed and sorted, sew a few maybe a few more... Things did not end well, my shoulder bone is not happy and neither is the muscles attached to it. So no sewing for at least a week or two.
A Parcel arrived yesterday as I was washing the floors, the house always feels so much better when it is spruced up and clean. It used different muscles, so that is a win win! ( This parcel contained the treasures I won from Kim, her blog{www.sarahlizzies.blogspot.com} is a world of its own. In a very good way, she has a way with words and her garden is an amazing place to visit for a while. It is filled with colour, adventures and tea. Need I say more...
The treasures are squares from her collection of fabrics she has collected over the years and decided to gift to one lucky reader of her blog with a draw to celebrate her blogs birthday! A few days before finding out about this win, my niece and my eldest sister both asked for quilts for two great nieces. Oh boy, with girls quilts I always struggle. Never enough pinks, girly fabrics in my stash. One wants unicorns, the other lamas, bunnies and boho chic. The latter one is into pinks, dreamcatchers.
The first one never got to use her baby quilt, it went into the container when they moved countries. The company my nephew worked for promised to ship the container, then changed their minds. Since then he has changed jobs and started over from scratch. His daughter loves purple and pink, with unicorns.
Unicorn fabric, oh dear. Kate came to the rescue, we chatted on zoom and she had a panel with unicorn squares on it, she kindly gifted it to me and it arrived in the mail earlier this week.
Yesterday, the weather was nice and three library books needed to go back to the library, so I detoured and popped into The Sewing Cafe on the way back. Linda has a grandson who is Unicorn mad, she was looking to make him something special with unicorn fabric. She had not found any yet. What a way the universe works, not only could I share some of the loot, now we sound like pirates from the olden days, except it is fabric and treasure to us.
So next week she will get the parts, which would have been waiting for a project in my sewing room. The panel had two purple and one pink square, I have removed them carefully. Now you may be asking yourself, what in the world will you be making with the collection of fabrics and treasures? A pattern found me, as Kim use Tilda fabrics and she had made a bunny for her granddaughter. That led me down the garden path to Tildas world and the free pattern tab...(I started to look for a pattern where I could incorporate all the elements) before the parcel arrived. Amazing what happens when you ask for help!
It is called the Birthday quilt, perfect for using lots of fabrics. The unicorn quilt will have a purple background and the lama with the bunnies a pink background.
My original reason for my visit to The Sewing Cafe, to find background fabric ideas. Kona pink and orchid will both be perfect!
Playing with the squares, it will be so difficult to choose all the ones that will be used.
The baby quilt that my great niece Lara lost, her mom was so upset about this.
I found a little bit of the backing fabric which will be used in the making of the new quilt!

13 comments:

  1. Have fun creating two quilts for the little girls. You have some beautiful fabrics to work with, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will once I’m back to my normal self again. Happy Easter!

      Delete
  2. congrats on your win - Kim has a wonderful colorful blog doesn't she - have a good
    Easter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that Sew Sisters still has a couple of those panels, if anyone else needs one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, as more unicorn fabrics are being needed by a few more people!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on winning that fabulous prize AND finding fabrics for the baby quilts on your make list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful fabrics! The llamas really is special. How sad when treasured items get lost. Hope your Easter is relaxing, and that your shoulder gets some time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie....there's always time for tea. =) So glad you love your pretties. I am looking forward to following the progress of the quilt you will fashion with some of these fabrics. The world of Tilda is a wonderful place and has fabulous free patterns. Love the gorgeous quilt you will make. I have problems coming up with fabrics for boys, but girls... I could make quilt after quilt and still have girly fabric leftover. =) The unicorn and llama fabrics are fabulous; perfect for sweet quilts. Enjoy a peaceful and lovely Easter, lovely Maggie. Nice you can now relax, now that your floors are spick and clean. =) Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great package, a treasure! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine finding unicorn fabric, but I am blown away by your ability to source llama fabric. It's so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on you win! I am looking forward to seeing those quilts. The unicorn fabric is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to receive such a wonderful parcel, I'm sure you will put those fabrics to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great trip through the "garden" in your post. Love how Karma came through for everyone!

    ReplyDelete