Monday 28 November 2022

Bargello quilts.

It has been a busy week, a letter parcel arrived from my friend Kate. She had some Shwe-shwe scraps and asked if I would like them? Absolutely! I needed more of these colours for a quilt for next year, it will be part of my RSC23.
The bargello quilt for my youngest sister has all the strips sewn into the lenght they all need to be. Next the rows get ironed and all the odd rows are iron towards the bottom of the strip and the even rows towards the top of each strip. This makes assembly of the strip sets a breeze, as all the seams nest.
They get pinned at the top of each row and all of these are sewn from the top down.
These sets are then joined to create strip sets of two pairs each, however they are sewn from the bottom to the top. By alternating the direction of the sewing of the rows together vertically, one remove the one crucial issue: no wonky shape, it helps to create the shape required. In this case a rectangle, if making a trip around the world it would create a square. The first twelve rows are sewn together making it a quarter sewn.
Blackforest cake for my birthday, knowing how precious time is we celebrate all the special moments with loved ones. The best part about this past weekend, I got to chat to both my sisters!

3 comments:

  1. lovely birthday cake! happy birthday. I have never had an interest in making a bargello quilt for some reason - pretty but not for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister wanted one. I have been sewing this afternoon and it is looking great so far.

      Delete