Tuesday 26 March 2019

Knitting to ease the stiffness in our hands.

When we do applique, stitching by hand sometimes we keep out fingers, hands in the same position while holding our fabric and needles to stitch and sew.  This can cause them to become stiff.  Kate recommended I try some knitting, as the hands and fingers are moving more often.  I am not very good at knitting, decided to give it a try.  This is the result and the biggest bonus of it all, my hands are not sore, the stiffness is gone.  So now I knit a bit every day!
 Supplies + Pattern. 
 I have stitch markers in my sewing room, just could not find them. So I improvised, with little scrunchies, which is used on my machine bobbins. my row counter, which I was gifted with a collection of knitting needles.
 The increase on this, stumped me.  My way would not have been good, stopped at the yarn store.  BettyAnn showed me how.  I was on my way.
 Remind me of an aeroplane, with wings.
 The body almost done.
 Knitted. Still needs blocking and ends sewn in.
The buttons, including some new born mittens (which somehow came out much larger). Only a beginner at this knitting.  The next sweater is well on its way.  The pink one will be going to a baby girl, arriving this summer.


5 comments:

  1. that is very cute - I wish I could knit! but I'm just not good at it and do not know how to very well. But I have found crocheting a little bit almost every day gives my hands a little different motion so I'm glad I started to do that. You are right in sewing we hold our hands and fingers certain ways and they need more motion

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating concept! I thought I was keeping my hands busy doing hand applique. I must revisit knitting one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! I knitted too much and my thumb gave up altogether. But a little bit each day is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now, my sweater is done to. It was fun to knit together from far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to watch from afar what great knitting projects are. Unfortunately I am totally talent free. But your jacket looks great and I'm sure that someone will be very happy about it.

    Many greetings your sewing enthusiastic Andrea

    ReplyDelete