Thursday 5 March 2015

Wedding Quilt.

A friend asked me to make a purple wedding quilt for a very special friend of her family, who was getting married.  It had to be light weight, as it was to be sent overseas.  She wanted it traditional, with a geometric design.  I showed her some patterns, she wanted an Irish chain. She chose purple for the quilt from some of fabrics I had in my stash.

I added magenta, to give the quilt some sparkle.  The quilting is in the ditch with wreaths and feathers done in the hoop of my embroidery machine.  The pattern came from: The Simple Joys of Quilting by Joan Hanson and Mary Hickey (ISBN1-56477-383-3).


Months after the quilt went to it's forever new home, I received a photograph of the happy couple.  Not only did the purple match the ribbon in the brides bouquet, the groom wore a magenta tie.  Without knowing this, I made a quilt to match.  It gives me goosebumps to this day.

 This is a sample of the magenta fabric.  I also made a pillowcase for the quilt, with the leftover fabrics.

As purple is a colour I do not use very often, this helped me to embrace the colour a bit more.  Since then I have made a puple logcabin quilt as well.  We all have favourite colours which we enjoy working with, it is what is we are comfortable with. 






No comments:

Post a Comment