Saturday 7 December 2019

Working on projects slowly.

The wheel turns. Each day that pass, is a few baby steps in time. The past couple of weeks has been tumultuous. Grief has a way that put everything into perspective and makes us look at life very differently.  Trying to do ordinary things, turns out not to be. I decided to make a baby hat, knitted it, then looked at it after it was finished. It would not survive a wash, stitches was dropped, without me even noticing.  It will be ripped out and it will be redone at a later stage.
The only colour which matched the emotions, was blue.  365 Challenge Quilt from 2016 was opened up.  The blocks was done up to the7th of October. 
This quilt-a-long should have been done sooner. It was not, I stopped in August that year, as we were all going to surprise our dad with an 80th Birthday party, to celebrate this milestone. Surprised him, we did! He thought we all came together for my niece's wedding? The memories will always be with us, to comfort us and to remember our loved one's, no longer with us.
Blue and then some more blue blue blocks have been sewn these past couple of weeks. All the blocks are sewn, they will be sewn together soon.  (The Splendid Sampler was another quilt-a-long which was started the same year).  It had two blocks a week, after 50 blocks, that one was done for me. So it was packed up and put away until the time arrived when I knew how the blocks had to put together. In September while we were out West,  it had its own "aha" moment. So this top will get finished up as well, after 365.
The fabrics for both quilt-a-longs was from fabrics I already had.  The blues was collected and they just never had a purpose,  knew one day the right pattern would come along. 365 is definitely a hungry caterpillar quilt, which required a lot of fabric. The Splendid Sampler was perfect for the French General Fabric, left over from a mystery quilt. Fifty blocks later, a lot of scraps left over, which will be used to make a scrappy quilt.
Technology makes inspiration easy to find us. While watching a stitching video, on Flosstube.  A quilt-a-long pop up in a sidebar. It looked interesting,  I though about it and debated whether,  I should join another quilt-a-long?  When the first two which was started in 2016 and was not finished yet?  This was in September,  in October I saw some fabric bundles, they were bright and happy, just right for said quilt, so this was it.  I signed up (forgot all about it, until an email arrived reminding me of the start).  The first part was released on the 28th of November.  My first row is sewn, it looks very modern and bright. It has a very young and happy feel to it.  It is cheering me up, so it came along at just the right moment in time.  
 Orange is the first row, with one accent block? Hashtags.
 Had this   ruler fabric in my fabric stash for a while, it turns out, it is by the same fabric designer.
The first two quilt-a-longs now is the projects for December.  Getting the tops done before the new year.  One done, one to go.

5 comments:

  1. Your mood may have been blue when you were stitching it, but this is a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember someone trying to talk me into doing the 365. I don't know that I would have gotten past 3! Congratulations. The end is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blocks, especially the orange ones. We cannot rush the process but sewing/quilting are good ways to busy our hands and hearts. Sending lots of love and big warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Togetherness

    ReplyDelete