Thursday 1 March 2018

A new month is here!


 Lots of sunshine and record high temperatures, we enjoyed every moment of it.  Old Man Winter has decided to make another visit, we are expecting snow and a winter storm.  Soon-soon the snow shovels will be replaced with gardening.  Just the thought of that,  has put a smile on all of us.
We walked pass this tree on our daily walk, this was the stash of squirrel food before the winter, looking at the same fork in the tree, all the food stashed for the long cold winter was almost all gone.
The Hertfortshire quilt got some more additions, some of the past fabric lines from Brenda Riddle. These are some of the fabric for some of her older lines of fabrics. Her fabric lines are easy to add too a new project with her latest line of fabric, using any of the lines she designed before. This makes choosing any extra additions to a project a breeze.  So we can enjoy creating a quilt and have no worries about running out of fabric, it also adds a lot of interest and dept to a quilt.

Foundation piecing the Mariner Compass Blocks.  Found a pattern almost identical to the pieced one in the book.  Decided to make these blocks this way, as I have a very short time to make this quilt.
Even with the time being limited, I did cut out almost an identical second one, which I will do the way the book has it printed, pieced by hand.
Making sure at the end the mariner's compass will fit on my background, which is cut as a square and the finished circle is then appliqued on to.
Segments of paper pieced pieces awaiting sewing.
The finished block, it will still need to be squared to the correct size for sewing into the quilt.
Finding the Way, aka the wedding quilt got some more love. All the Mariners Compass blocks are done. Next up, some diamonds and lots of triangle square blocks.  This pattern is in the book below!
The draw was done the old fashioned way, a glass jar, with a number for each comment in order.  Comment one, was assigned number one and comment number two, the number two.  The jar was given a good shake and then without looking, I pulled out a number.  Did this in the kitchen, so I had no idea who won, until I checked the number on the computer. Congratulations!

1st of March, as promised the winner of the giveaway: Glenda!

3 comments:

  1. Your mariner's compass blocks are looking very good.
    Congratulations to Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations to your winner - if Glenda is the Glenda I think she is she will love this book- love the fabrics you are picking out for Hertfordshire - I am busy cutting templates for the next round I think we are at the same place in construction right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is that Glenda Karen LOL I never win any thing so its a extra special treat for me, I did say to Maggie to give it to some one else as its a long way to post it, but been lovely Maggie she has all ready sent it so I wait with a smile on my face. Thank you Kate I'm very lucky.
    Thank you Maggie dear it will be such a lovely coffee table book to have and it will be treasured and looked after. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete